We recently hosted our first self-catered party for Bowie’s 2nd Birthday. Of course keeping the party as Real Food as possible without detracting from being a kid's party was the name of the game. I have said on many occasions that I am not keen to teach Bowie about good food vs bad food, I want her to learn what foods make her feel good. Part of this will be eating foods that I consider junk and as much as it horrifies me right now I know it will happen at some stage in her life. I’m psyching myself up for that! But when her body is used to nutritious food she will most likely feel the crash that follows junk food and therefore my plan will have worked. Fingers crossed anyway!
As for our party, I wanted a bit of a French theme as we were having a Madeline’s Winter in Paris party. It was free of refined sugar, colours, preservatives, additives, with dairy free, gluten free and vegan options. We served a couple of things that are not regular features in our diet such as potato chips — I am yet to find some in NZ that are made with a healthy fat so I bought the ones I am most comfortable with.
- Popcorn (coconut oil & sea salt)
- Solay potato chips (sunflower oil & sea salt)
- Beetroot dip (recipe from Pete Evans Family Food)
- Roasted carrot hummus (recipe from Pete Evans Family Food)
- White castello, brie, gouda & rice crackers
- Fruit gummies — pomegranate, apple & spirulina + tropical & turmeric (recipe from Pete Evans Health Every Day)
- Chocolate sweet potato cupcakes with avocado frosting, I used a chia egg to make these vegan (recipe from Real Food Pledge)
- Organic beef chipolatas & probiotic tomato catsup.
- Basil pesto & feta pastries (made using Paneton pastry, wheat flour, butter, water & salt)
- Strawberry jam pastry hearts (Paneton pastry and St.Dalfour jam)
- Gingerbread cookies (Recipe from Wholefood Simply)
And the Birthday cake was made by Wilder + Hunt. It was delicious, a gluten free, dairy free and nut free paleo lemon drizzle cake. Totally recommend these guys if you don’t want to attempt making a paleo cake yourself.
All in all, it was a lovely party and Bowie had a fabulous time with wonderful company.
What foods do you have at your Real Food parties?